Wednesday, April 16, 2008

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY SARAH!

It was today a year ago on April 16, 2007 that you where first placed into our arms. I remember the day so well, we where all so impatient not knowing what to expect not knowing how to react if you would go crazy start kicking and screaming.
I remember getting on the bus to the Civil Affairs Office staring out the window on the ride there; it was such a beautiful sunny and warm day. I kept reminding your Dad to make sure the Camera was ready and if he had his ID? We traveled there with another family that picked up their daughter just about a month younger then you. It was hard having to wait as we had been expecting to see you the day before knowing you where already in town somewhere with your nanny.

As we got to the Civil Affairs Office it was clear that many families that day where to be united with their little blessings. We had to wait for our guide to give us the ok to go upstairs and as we went up the elevator your dad already had the camera rolling. We got off the elevator and I recall this oh yea two ½ feet little whirlwind racing out the door into the hallway, bright yellow pants, very short hair pink vest. I thought how cute look at this little bundle of energy………we walked into the office and sat down….. Watching that little girl wrestle with the nanny trying to get her shoes back on… ….. …..hahahaha yea behold…… 5 minutes later we came to learn that this little whirlwind was you and the lady that was trying to tackle you down was the director of the orphanage. When they put you in my arms you just stared at me with those big brown eyes but you never cried not once that day. Some toys I had in my hand you instantly pulled from me and when your Dad gave me a cup we had brought along you also grabbed that with such a strong grip I recall thinking oh dear we got us a strong willed one here ………and was I ever right. We had to take the top of the cup since you did not know how to use the sippy cup but you wanted that drink and there was no holding you back.

They had cut your hair very short and you had little spots in your face that we had been told where suppose to be mosquito bites……well lets leave it at that…..but you looked so different then on the picture that we had seen of you 3 months ago that I am embarrassed to say we did not even recognize you…..We did eventually realize you had the chicken pox and found out some other details that we can share as you get older…… but I recall later as we where watching the video of you racing out of that room I just had to laugh…..boy did I know then we where in for a ride and you would fit right in. A match made in heaven.

I could go on and on recalling almost all the details of the day as the blur of the morning wait was gone fast once we got back on the bus to the hotel but we can safe that for some later talks when you are older to ask questions.

With that we will always keep this day in our hearts and our memories as your birth into our family – born in our hearts loved for a live time – Sarah Yong Dai – with all the thankfulness and gratefulness we can have to China for letting us bring you home and your birth mother whom had to make the choice to let you go, we are forever grateful to her and pray that she is well and somehow knows that you have found your forever family.